Extended Puppy Pose Beginners Yoga Asanas
Come onto all fours. See that your shoulders are above your wrists and your hips are above your knees. Walk your hands forward a few inches and curl your toes under.
As you exhale, move your buttocks halfway back toward your heels. Keep your arms active; don’t let your elbows touch the ground.
Drop your forehead to the floor or to a blanket and let your neck relax. Keep a slight curve in your lower back. To feel a nice long stretch in your spine, press the hands down and stretch through the arms while pulling your hips back toward your heels.
Breathe into your back, feeling the spine lengthen in both directions. Hold for 30 seconds to a minute, then release your buttocks down onto your heels.
Benefits of Extended Puppy Pose
- Stretches the spine and shoulders
- Calms the mind and invigorates the body
- Improves flexibility, especially in the spine
- Relieves symptoms of chronic stress, tension, and insomnia
- Strengthens and stretches the arms, hips, and upper back