Tree Pose Asanas for Beginners
- From Mountain pose, shift your weight on to the left leg. Ground your left foot down into the floor, pull up your knee cap and thigh.
- Gaze at a point on eye level, to help you balance.
- Bend your right knee, reach down with your right hand and clasp your ankle.
- With help of the hand, place your right foot on the inside of the left leg, if its available to you on the inner thigh, with your heel up high. Lengthen your tailbone toward the floor.
- If that is not available to you, place the inside of the foot on the inside of the ankle or calf. Avoid the inside of the knee.
- Turn the knee out to the side, press your foot against the inner thigh, and the inner thigh back into the foot.
- Bring your hands in front of your heart in prayer position, or you can lift your arms up to the ceiling. hands shoulder width apart.
- With arms lifted, lift from the back body.
- Stay in this pose for about 30 sec or 1 min.
- On an outbreath lower the leg and arms down and stand in Tadasana, repeat on the other side.
Tree Pose Modifications and Props
You can stand with your back braced against a wall if you feel unsteady in this pose.
Tree Pose Variations
Stretch your arms straight up toward the ceiling, parallel to each other, palms facing, or touch the palms together forming an inverted V with the arms.
Tree Pose Benefits
- Improves balance
- Opens the hips
- Strengthens the ankles, legs and spine
- Lengthens the spine
- Improves focus/ concentration
- Strengthens thighs, calves, ankles, and spine
- Stretches the groins and inner thighs, chest and shoulders
- Relieves sciatica and reduces flat feet